AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

I know.  I'm a teacher blogger, not a food blogger.  (BOY I wish I were sometimes!!  Have you seen some of those AMAZING recipes and their pictures always look so yummy????)

As I was saying, I'm not a food blogger, but I do like to share recipes almost as much as I like to share teaching tips and resources.   I mean what teacher doesn't like to eat?  AND---it's so hard to come home from work after a long day and cook supper.  We need quick meals and fairly easy prep.  I have picky kids which makes it even harder to cook.  Then with the holiday hustle and bustle sometimes it just gets too crazy to sit down for a meal.  We vowed as a family to start eating out less (it was a life saver for us during soccer season) and start preparing meals as a family.  Nothing like bonding in the kitchen together. (Yes, I said that seriously!) ;) 

SOO----It's been a while since I've posted a What's Cookin' Wednesday!  Time to get back on track.  Only this time, I'm asking you all to link up with me.  I would like to make this a weekly Wednesday to do, but let's see how it goes for a few weeks.  Now, if you're not a blogger---feel free to comment with one of your favorite recipes, or share it on my Facebook page.  I'm always looking for something new to try.  

So What's Cooking Wednesday for this family?


Chicken Cordon Bleu, Dijon Potatoes and a rip off version of 7-up bread.
(maybe it's not diet friendly--but it was so much better than eating out.)

 
Please ignore the picture--I don't do the best at taking food pics 
AND the chicken isn't cooked in the first pic.

We had fixed a ham a few days prior and I needed to use it up---and Chicken Cordon Bleu is my WEAKNESS.  This isn't a true version.  I didn't create a sauce and I didn't use Swiss Cheese.  I used ingredients on hand.  My son (mind you, a picky eater) LOVED this meal. 

How I fixed mine:

I used chicken tenders. We buy them in bulk at Sam's.   They are a smaller chicken breast (so it helps with portion control too).  I layed out wax paper and I stretched  out the chicken tenders by hand just a bit (didn't pound it out) to make it a little wider.  I used fresh mozzarella sliced and flattened them out just a bit as well.  Then I placed a thin strip of cooked ham on top.  

Now the messy part.  I probably should have affixed the pieces together with a toothpick. But who has time for that?   Instead, I rolled up the chicken piece (with cheese and ham) and dipped it into an egg/milk mixture.  (We also use skim milk.)  Then I rolled it into a seasoned bread crumb mixture.  I baked it about 425 for 20 minutes.  You could also go down to 350 for about a half hour depending on the size of your chicken breast. I baked mine higher because the potatoes 
 bake at a higher temperature and I stuck it all in the oven together.

I used both red and white potatoes and oven baked them with a dijon-mustard mixture.  Here is the recipe I used as a guide, but honestly, I threw basil, garlic, olive oil and dijon-mustard together and just dabbed it onto our potatoes.  I did follow the directions for the bake time for the most part.
 They were AWESOME.  

For the 7-up Bread...I wanted biscuits.  However, as the kids started making them, I realized the dough was quite messy.  I didn't want to mess with cutting them out and getting "flour" all over the counters.  I HATE messes! ;)  So, we just poured it into a 9x9 pan and they turned out just fine---without the mess. SO EASY to clean up after this meal too!!  
***Note, we didn't use 7-up.  We used diet Sierra Mist and it turned out just fine! :)

I don't have printable recipes for you this week, because sometimes--well---I just throw in a bit of this and a pinch of that. I really should quit doing that, but at least this way, you never get the same meal twice! ;)

**If you would like to link up, please grab the button at the top of the page and share your quick meal (or recipe).   Make sure you copy your exact blog post to enter into the URL!   I hope you join me in the fun!! :)


3 comments:

  1. I have never had chicken cordon bleu. I also have apicky eater so this recipe might just work! My sister raved about the 7-up bread, but I still haven't tried it. I think Thanksgiving break would be the perfect time to try it! Thanks for sharing. : )
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Investigate your costs. You ought to have the capacity to figure out which of the things on that rundown are a bit much. A portion of the costs individuals have are only for excitement, and they can manage without them - at any rate for some time. cash advance chicago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attempt to eliminate the costs however much as could reasonably be expected. For instance, on the off chance that you have two autos, have a go at utilizing the more fuel proficient one for the more pressing errands. https://www.usacheckcashingstore.com/san-diego

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews