AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gone Batty!!

Yes!  That title suits me perfectly right now.  With all the current changes in education here in Ohio--You know how test scores are 50% of my evaluation--with demands from administrators, data collections, TBT meetings, evaluations, testing, and parents---UGH! Somewhere along the line I forgot why I started teaching.  OHH YES!!  Because I wanted to be one of the ones that helped mold our future....to teach students to think for themselves..not be robotic and heaven forbid these students become just a number!   What happened to education?  None of this was around when I was in elementary school.  I *think* I turned out okay, though some may argue with the definition of "okay" ;)  I just wish that things could be less stressful, and more meaningful!! 

Soo............................

This week is one of those weeks.  It's a short week for us in my district due to an Inservice, and then a (nonpaid day) for Central Ohio Teachers Association.  I like these short weeks because I pull away from our basals and curriculum just for a bit.   For example yesterday we did various activities for Christopher Columbus.  Then today (and tomorrow) we are working on bats. 

I have Erica's bat unit that I bought (and loved) last year.  We are using it again this year. 
Click HERE to see it on her blog.  Click HERE to see it on TpT. 




We read/looked through a few non-fiction bat stories today. 
Here is one that the students enjoyed.
Click the picture to see it on Amazon.


We completed an anchor chart to help students for tomorrow's writing and 
we completed the bat diagram.

We sequenced numbers for math, comparing them and discussing the tens/ones.

 We also watched Magic School Bus Gone Batty.  
(You can still find it on youtube if you search by episode numbers..I do think they keep trying to take them down as soon as they get put up.)

Tomorrow we are going to read Stellaluna and use more of Erica's pack.
Click the image above to view it on Amazon.


We are also going to be using Teri's bat craft and writing a fact (or facts) we've learned about bats.
Click HERE to see it on TpT.  Click HERE to see it on her blog.

I also am going to use this nonfiction reader with my students. 
At our school library, many of the non-fiction readers are above my student's level. 
They lose interest due to the length, but enjoy the content and the pictures.
I try to skim over a lot of the material, but decided that it may be easier 
to write my own story for them.  
 You can click HERE to grab you a free reader.

Next week will go back to a normal week.  
We will be working on these in our math stations/tubs.
You can click HERE to see them on TpT.



6 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel about having to remind yourself why you got into teaching. I love the couple of days in the year that our district has set aside for review.I also love getting away from the basal, but we don't have very many free days through the year.
    Enjoy your day tomorrow!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebie! We are working on bats next week and this will fit in nicely!
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel as a fellow Ohio teacher! I have been gone from blogging for about a month and a half because I have been struggling to keep up!! We're wrapping up our bat unit this week so thank you for sharing your ideas. Those books and packs look great! Enjoy your short week! :)

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, it's not just Ohio! We have lost planning and have more demands on us than ever.. but we keep powering through :) I think teachers have that personality to keep trying to make a difference even if we are under-appreciated and over-worked.

    Reading about other teachers and their amazing classrooms keeps me motivated :) Enjoy your short week and thank you for sharing your ideas. I love your blog!
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also did Erica's bat unit last year and also Teri's bat craft! Thanks so much for the nonfiction reader - this will be a great addition to this year's lessons! :)
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I needed for our three days of bats this week! Thank you for sharing, friend!

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews